Tuesday, February 28, 2012

It's Mammogram day.. Hurray!!!!!!!!!!!


OK enough of the funny stuff....  having a mammogram is serious stuff...


I had my 10th mammogram today....


 my first was a baseline at 35yrs . A baseline mammogram is so they can compare future ones with the first one to look for changes or difference as the years go by.
The recommendations for a baseline or your 1st one range from age 35 to your early 40's. I have had one every year since I turned 40.
It's really no big deal to me, I'm done in 10 minutes or so.
It is a little awkward the first few times (for me a pap smear is alot worse) and just tell the tech if it is your 1st one so she can be a bit more gentle.
They hurt a little bit, but it used to hurt way more when I drank alot of caffeine daily.

15yrs ago my Aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer, she was in her late 50's and had missed her mammogram by 6 to 7 months. And in that time it grew and went into her limp nodes, so she had to have a mastectomy, then chemo and radiation.. if she  went when it was a year it might of just been a lumpectomy. There was no family history, she does not smoke or drink alcohol. Thank goodness she is a survivor...

So your breast is squished between the top and the bottom plates...
It is hard holding your breath, (you can't breathe just like when they do a X-ray on any part of your body) if you breathe or move then they have to redo that one image.
4 images on each side...
before you know it your done!!!!
So if you need to have it done, just do it!!
you'll be glad that you did..

Here are a couple sites that have alot of info on mammograms..
www.americancancersociety.com
just search for mammogram on each site..
also check in your area for low cost mammograms if you don't have insurance.


one last funny thing!!!
If only!

No comments:

Post a Comment