Sunday, July 15, 2012

More tomatoes...

Since I have tons of tomatoes and most of them are being thrown away I decided to try and preserve them in jars.

So I did, it was super easy and now I have 6 jars of fresh tomatoes..

I sterilized the jars on the sanitize cycle in the dishwasher and squeezed lemons from our tree. You need to add lemon juice before you cook the tomatoes..


I put them in boiling water for 30-60 seconds..


Then they went in the ice water bath and the skin's pretty much slid right off the tomatoes.



My 8 yr old grandson helped me...
He first said "ewwwe this is gross"( not sure how to spell ewwe)..
They smell rotten.. and then I showed him how and he said
"oh grandma this is cool".
What do you know he thought it was fun...


Filled up the jars.. added lemon juice then boiling water
and then off to boil for 50 minutes..


Thank goodness I had this hugh pan (I make tamales and cook them in this pot)..


It worked!!!!
I have six jars..
I will be making more and I am going to make peaches and strawberry jam..

The web site I went to is called
It has all kinds of interesting things to do and lots of canning ideas..





No comments:

Post a Comment